Thursday, August 21, 2008

mom mood boosters...by april

We all have those days. You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones where you really need a b.r.e.a.k. I just wanted to share a couple things that I do to help.

I have a smoothie everyday-with ground flax seed. I thought it was so weird that I always felt better when I had my smoothie. Then I read that omega-3's protect against depression and flax seed is an excellent source for that good fat. (Oprah's Dr. Oz says that it must be ground or be an oil for you to really absorb all it's goodness).**

I love a good shower. When I need to relax, I plug in the monitor during my daughter's nap, and I just go sit down and let the hot water wash over me. I don't bother washing my hair or anything. I just sit and try to think about nothing. I guess it's my meditation.

I really think every mom needs to get away. Not only does it help you get a little adult time, but it feels so good to return home to my little girl who has a giant smile on and is so excited to see me. I go to yoga once a week and right now I'm taking a knitting class too.

What do you do to help boost your mood?


**my green smoothie recipe
1/2 an apple (for sweeter smoothie-use entire apple...it will make make a very large smoothie then)
1/2 cup kale
1 banana
1/2 cup rice milk
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon flax seed
a few cubes of ice
blend until smooth

5 comments:

Devyn said...

hmmm. good tips. i agree. dr oz is the greatest.

Linda said...

You're welcome for turning you on about the green smoothies. :) Anyone who is interested I also substitute a 1/2 cup of pineapple for the apple or if you are making it for two use both:) I also on my workout days add a scoop of Vanilla Ice cream protein drink. I drink 1/4 of it 20 - 30 minutes before my workout and the rest after. I know too much information...

The Buck's said...

As crazy as the gas prices are, sometimes I just love to get in the car and drive, drive, drive, with no particular destination in mind. I have to admit...the running is helping my mental state these days too.

The Mac Attack said...

Yoga as I've said before, and running is a major me time thing. Mae was 5 days old when I started back up. Also going to work 3-4 days a week are things that help me focus on her when I am home.

Shannon Masayo said...

my girls spend the night at a grandparents house about once a week. Getting good sleep helps a ton, and then I miss them tons by the morning. I agree on the shower thing. it is amazing.