Thursday, August 14, 2008

kid friendly Yakisoba

Yakisoba is my favorite meal. I was wanting some, but I didn't think my kids would eat it. My oldest is the pickiest kid, EVER. #2 and #3 aren't as bad, but #3 literally throws up if he doesn't like something. (gag reflex) One time some friends were over and they brought lemon bars. #3 tried one and vomited. The husband turned to his wife and said "Wow, I've never actually seen someone throw up from your cooking before!" lol.

So today, I did a little experiment to make Yakisoba more kid friendly. I went from memory for part of it and looked up a few different recipes online for the sauce and cut and combined til I saw something I thought looked good. This is what I ended up with and it was quite yummy!

Ingredients:
Store bought Yakisoba noodles (I got them at Costco and used 1 of the 2 packages)
Broccoli Florets
Chopped Cabbage
Shredded Carrots
Snap Peas
Chicken

Sauce:
1 2/3 cup water
1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic

Mix the sauce ingredients and set it aside.

Stir fry the chicken, add the broccoli and snap peas. Continue to stir fry. Add the cabbage and carrots, keep stir frying. Add the noodles and sauce and stir fry til it's all hot.

Eat!

Everyone enjoyed it. Nobody threw up. My oldest even said "mmmmmm" and THAT is a hard thing to get out of him. Granted, he only ate the noodles, but still! This is an accomplishment!

And the whole thing is quite simple. That's my requirement.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'll have to try making it with the sauce recipe. I usually use the sauce in the packets or terriaki sauce. Sounds yummy!